To Orwell Today,

In this news article I've put bold emphasis on the Orwellian aspects:

Police raid suspected meth house (only to find fish tank). TV-11 Minneapolis, Minnesota News, Apr 29, 2008
Brooklyn Park police were looking for a meth lab, but they found a fish tank and the chemicals needed to maintain it. And a few hours later, when the city sent a contractor to fix the door the police had smashed open Monday afternoon, it was obvious the city was trying to fix a mistake. It happened while Kathy Adams was sleeping. "And the next thing I know, a police officer is trying to get me out bed," she said. Adams, a 54-year-old former nurse who said she suffers from a bad back caused by a patient who attacked her a few years ago, was handcuffed. So was her 49-year-old husband. "They brought us here and said once we clear that area, you can sit down and you will not speak to each other," she said.

Police were executing a search warrant signed by Hennepin County Judge Ivy Bernhardson, who believed there was probable cause the Adams's home was a meth lab. Berhardson, who was appointed to the bench less than a year ago, did not return KARE 11's phone calls. "Ohmigod," Adams said as she recalled police breaking down her door and flashing the search warrant. "I just kept saying to them, 'you've got the wrong house'." Police soon realized that themselves.

"From a cursory view, it doesn't look like our officers did anything wrong," said Capt. Greg Roehl. Roehl said the drug task force was acting on a tip from a subcontractor for CenterPoint Energy, who had been in the home Friday to install a hot water heater. "He got hit with a chemical smell that he said made him light headed, feel kind of nauseous," Roehl said. The smell was vinegar, and maybe pickling lime, which were clearly marked in a bathroom Mr. Adams uses to mix chemicals for his salt water fish tank. "I said, 'I call it his laboratory for his fish tanks'." Mrs. Adams said, recalling her conversation with the CenterPoint technician. "I'm looking at the fish tank talking to this guy." Police say there was no extended investigation, just an interview with the subcontractor. "Everything this person told us turned out to be true, with the exception of what the purpose of the lab was," Roehl said.

Adams is looking for a lawyer. "I could say that about my neighbor - I smelled something when I went in their house," she said. "Does that make it right for them to go in there and break the door down and cuff you? I think not!" Police say the detective who asked for the search warrant is an 8 -year veteran, but he just started working in the drug task force. CenterPoint energy maintains the home was "unsafe" and it would have been "irresponsible" for the subcontractor not to report it. [end of article]

-Kat Lowry

Greetings Kat,

The same thought police type of crimestop activity is going on up here in Canada. The whole hype about marijuana grow-ops and people brewing-up alleged street-drug chemicals in their homes with Draino and cough syrup etc, is all about setting-up scenarios where police can go into homes without a warrant "to keep people safe" from supposed dangerous combustable materials that could "blow neighbourhoods sky high". In reality, the drugs that hit the streets of towns and cities in the Western World come from outside the country where they are produced in massive laboratories run by international drug cartels working for the Drug Lords. If the powers-that-be were really intersted in "keeping people safe" from dangerous drugs and chemicals they'd use their armies to replace the heroin fields in Afghanistan, and the cocaine fields in Mexico with food crops and bust the big guns in the chemical-drug making machinery - one of their founders of which is being eulogised all over the world today.

Albert Hofmann, father of drug LSD, dies in Switzerland. Associated Press, Apr 30, 2008 (..."I produced the substance as a medicine. ...It's not my fault if people abused it," he once said....For a time, Sandoz sold LSD 25 under the name Delysid, encouraging doctors to try it themselves. It was one of the strongest drugs in medicine with just one gram enough to drug an estimated 10,000 to 20,000 people for 12 hours. LSD was elevated to international fame in the late 1950s and 1960s thanks to Harvard professor Timothy Leary who embraced the drug under the slogan "turn on, tune in, drop out." But away from the psychedelic trips, horror stories emerged about people going on murder sprees or jumping out of windows while hallucinating. Heavy users suffered permanent psychological damage. The U.S. government banned LSD in 1966 and other countries followed suit...The self described "father" of LSD readily agreed that the drug was dangerous if in the wrong hands. This was reflected by the title of his 1979 book: "LSD - my problem child." In it he wrote that, "The history of LSD to date amply demonstrates the catastrophic consequences that can ensue when its profound effect is misjudged and the substance is mistaken for a pleasure drug.")

In the following article along the same vein as yours, I've bolded & underlined the Orwellian aspects and important facts:

Warrantless search upsets homeowner (threatened to cut off his power when he balked at an inspection of his home). Vancouver Sun, Apr 26, 2008
As lawyers argued this week over the authorities' right to demand access to homes suspected of containing marijuana grow-ops, Coquitlam resident Jim Peach was still fuming at being confronted by a posse of police and inspectors who came to his door last week because his electricity use was high. "I had to suffer the indignity of having my home invaded because they thought I had a grow-op," Peach said. Peach was surprised when city inspectors and two RCMP officers showed up at his home April 9 with a bylaw notice saying they wanted to search the home on Hull Court because electricity consumption was abnormally high. Peach denied he was growing marijuana but told them to come in anyway and look around. "They said no. They would be back the next day," he said.

Peach lives on Vancouver Island and stays in the Coquitlam home four days a week. He was planning to return to Vancouver Island the next day. "I said that's not convenient because I'm going away Thursday and wouldn't be at home," Peach said. "They told me if I didn't cooperate they'd cut off my power." Peach was told his Hydro consumption was 143 kilowatt hours a day. Normal consumption is around 32 kilowatt hours a day. Under provincial legislation, BC Hydro has to inform local authorities if a customer's energy consumption shows unusually high levels -- in the region of 92 kilowatt hours a day -- which could indicate commercial-scale marijuana cultivation. Using a recent amendment to the B.C. Safety Standards Act, fire and safety officers accompanied by police carry out safety inspections. This process allows police into a home without a warrant and is under attack by lawyers representing a Surrey couple whose power was cut off for refusing to allow police in during an inspection that found no signs of marijuana cultivation.

Peach was surprised his home was using such large amounts of electricity, as his Hydro bills didn't seem unusual. "I rent this house and it's only got electrical power and it's pretty drafty," said Peach, who said he has never had any trouble with the law or been involved in any offences involving marijuana. "I'm just an accountant. I've never had any problems at all," he said. The fire officer told Peach that even if all his baseboard heaters, water heater and appliances were turned on full they wouldn't consume such an amount of electricity, and Peach became alarmed that the home had some sort of electrical fault or that someone was stealing his power and his monthly bill would be enormous.

He called BC Hydro and was told his bimonthly bill was $560. "I said, 'Is this a problem?' and the woman said, 'No, you're okay' and I told her what had happened, and she said there were a whole bunch of people in Coquitlam who were upset because of these searches," he said. Next, he phoned a city information number that was on the bylaw notice demanding entry. A woman answered and Peach said he told her a mistake had been made and that Hydro had told him there was nothing unusual about his power consumption. "She said, 'No you've got it wrong and the inspection will take place as scheduled,' and if I didn't let them in they'll shut the power off," he said.

Then he complained to the fire chief's office, the city manager and the mayor's office without result, he said. When he spoke with someone in the fire chief's office he was asked why he was so upset. "I said, 'How would you feel if the RCMP showed up at your home and demanded to get in?'" Peach said. "'How many firefighters and city officials have had police inspecting their houses like this?' And he had no answer."

Then he went to the Internet and looked up the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and found Section 8, which deals with a citizen's right to be protected from unreasonable search and seizure -- the issue being argued this week in front of B.C. Supreme Court Justice William Smart.

"I'd resigned myself to the fact it was going to happen, so next day eight of them show up, including two police officers, and I told them, 'You're making a mistake, you've either miscalculated or been given misleading information,' and they told me I didn't know what I was talking about," he said. "I told the police that under Section 8 they couldn't carry out a search without a warrant and they said they were there as protection for the inspectors, and if I didn't let them in, the inspectors wouldn't go in and they'd cut the power. As far as I'm concerned, that was a form of extortion and intimidation and I didn't like it.

"This is a cold, drafty house and they found nothing. It's embarrassing, too. All the neighbours saw what was going on. In fact, the guy next door came over and said they should search his place because his Hydro bills were the same as mine," said Peach. Mayor Maxine Wilson was asked why Peach was made to submit to a search during an inconvenient time after he had offered to let police in, and was threatened with his power being shut off if he didn't comply. She said she couldn't comment on the affair as she didn't have any information. "I sympathize with Mr. Peach, but he was delivered a notice 48 hours in advance," she said. Peach denied ever receiving a notice, nor was any notice given to his sons, who live in the home, he said.

Coquitlam corporate communications manager Therese Michelson said the reason the first team wouldn't do the search was that a full team was needed to carry out an inspection. Asked why a team of two police officers, a fire inspector and a bylaw safety officer wouldn't be capable of finding a commercial-sized marijuana operation in a family home, she said searches followed a protocol that required a full team, including an electrical inspector. Asked why Peach was threatened with having his power cut off, she said she doubted this threat had been made, as that was not policy. "When get refused access we don't cut power," she said. "We can issue a ticket or seek a warrant. Cutting power is not something we do." Told that Peach had been repeatedly threatened with having his power cut off, Michelson said that if that was going on it would have to stop.



20.Thought Police & Snitches and 21.Crimestop and 37.We Are The Dead and 35.The Brotherhood

Jackie Jura
~ an independent researcher monitoring local, national and international events ~

email: orwelltoday@gmail.com
website: www.orwelltoday.com